Skip to content
ParishSince 1993

Parish History

Start

After the restoration of Lithuania's independence in the 1990s, the Catholic Church began to regain its position in society. Vilnius Archdiocese invited the Salesian Congregation to establish a new parish in the rapidly growing Lazdynai microdistrict. in 1993 St. was officially established. John Bosco Parish.

Church construction

The first year was marked by enthusiasm and community involvement. St. Masses were celebrated in temporary premises until the present church was built. The church was consecrated and became a spiritual center for thousands of Lazdynai residents.

Salesian spirit

From the beginning, the parish lives according to Don Bosco's preventive system, which is based on reason, religion and love. Special attention is paid to the education of young people - there are oratories, catechesis groups, summer camps and cultural events.

Today

Today, the parish is a vibrant community with several thousand members. An oratory, a Caritas group, a liturgical choir, a group of ministers, the Living Rosary community and other organizations are active. The parish continues the mission of Don Bosco - to be a home, school and church for the youth.

History

Tempus fugit, barba crescit ("time flies, beard grows") - the Romans said about the speed of time that cannot be stopped. Time passes imperceptibly even for us, St. For the parishioners of J. Bosco parish. in 2010 March 12 Vilnius St. John Bosco Parish turned 20 years old. This is a lot, and it seems to everyone that the life of the parish has just begun. The beginning of the Salesians' work in Vilnius was not 20 years ago, but much earlier. It is worth remembering some historical facts.

Salesians in Vilnius

The first Salesians arrived in Vilnius in 1924. August 15 They were invited by Fr. Karolis Liubianecs. Archbishop With the permission of Jurgis Matulaičius, he gave them St. The Church of the Heart of Jesus and the School of Crafts with a boarding school, located on Gerosios Vilties Street. Archbishop J. Matulaitis in 1928 August 21 entrusted to the monks and St. Stephen's Church. The chief salesian rector F. Rinaldi (who had already come to Vilnius before assuming this position in 1928) in 1931. January 1 gave consent to establish St. The House of the Heart of Jesus on Gerosios Vilties street 22 and St. Stephen's Oratory of St. Stepona street 37, Vilnius. During the war, when Lithuania was occupied by the Germans, the school stopped working (June 22-29, 1941), then it was nationalized by the Soviets, and the remaining Salesians worked in the parishes as much as possible.

After Lithuania regained its independence, the Salesians returned to Vilnius. They started building a monastery and a church in one of the new micro-districts of the city - Lazdynai, because St. The heart church and school could not be recovered.

This is how the Salesian community was restored. in 1990 March 12 manager Julijonas Steponavičius established St. John Bosco parish. At the beginning, services from St. The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus moved to Lazdyna schools, and in the warm months of the year, mass was celebrated in the meadow, near the cross, in the place where the church now stands. The construction of the Salesian house and chapel began in 1993 and was completed in December 1995. in 1995 through Fr. The celebration of J. Bosco on January 31. Archbishop of Vilnius Audrys Juozas Bačkis consecrated the building. Since then, the life of the parish has already moved out of the meadow and schools and boiled in the Salesian chapel and the House.

New Church

in 1996 May 17 the construction of St. John Bosco Church (1400 m2). in 1996 August 12 the cornerstone was consecrated by the head rector of the Salesians himself, Fr. Juan Edmundo Vecchi. It was a great celebration for the young parish. From that event, the design and construction of the church went hand in hand. All the parishioners could watch and marvel at the growth of the new priest. Shrine of J. Bosco. The construction work progressed rapidly not only because of the parishioners' donations, but above all because of the financial support of the elders of the Salesian monastery. A few years later, the parish again experienced great joy: in 2000. December 24 the first mass was already offered in the church - it was the Mass of the Shepherds of the Great Christian Jubilee. After them, on Sundays, people gathered for prayer in the still unfinished church, and on weekdays - in the still chapel. A month later, in 2001 January 28, Rev. Juozas Tunaitis consecrated the temporary altar in the sanctuary, which could hardly fit all the worshipers that day. As the funds received from the Salesian center ran out, further work was carried out in small steps. Although slowly, but consistently, both the surroundings and the interior of the church were beautified. in 2004 October 2 construction is officially completed. Gradually and with the combined efforts of everyone, the Salesian Church of Lazdyna became really beautiful. The altar was designed by two artist Salesian priests - twins from Krakow, Fr. Leszek and Fr. Robert Kruczek. They also made the bas-reliefs on the main wall, the tabernacle, the baptistery, and performed other decoration works. Bas-relief Fr. J. Bosco shows Jesus on the cross and invites the youth to come to Him. On the other side of the cross we see St. Dominykus Savio et al. Laura Vicuña (Vikunja) - young saints, examples of Salesian spirituality for modern youth, showing how to live, how to believe, what it means to communicate with Jesus from the very youth. The Salesian craft school in Auschwitz, celebrating the 112th anniversary of its founding, made benches and auditoriums for our church.

Many laborers in God's vineyard

in 2010 May 30 St. The parish church of J. Bosko was solemnly consecrated. Consecration is the solemn consecration of the altar, church building and equipment - offering to the service of God. From that moment on, the building serves only the glory of God. It is also an opportunity to thank those who contributed the most to the growth of the parish and the church. First of all, to the Salesian brothers who lived, worked and served God here. Among them, a special place is reserved for parish priests. The first pastor here was Vilnius St. The parish priest of the Heart of Jesus, Fr. Kazimieras Kindurys (1990–1992). When the bishop assigned the Salesians to run the parish, Fr. Izydor Sadowski SDB (1992-1995). His work was probably the most difficult - to start the life of the community and the construction of the chapel and monastery from scratch. A parish is not only buildings, but primarily a community of believers. This priest had to deal with both construction and community building. It was easier for other pastors. An active and organized community of believers helped the pastors and church builders Fr. Mykolas Petravičiis SDB (1995–2003), and later - Fr. Jacek Paszenda SDB, who completed the construction work. Talkino and other Salesian priests: a. a. Fr. Władysław Mikulewicz SDB (+2006), Fr. Stasys Šileika SDB, Fr. Petras Dumbliauskas SDB, Fr. Massimo Bianco SDB, Fr. Alessandro Barelli SDB, Fr. Marek Rusek SDB, diocesan priests: Fr. Zenon Navickas, a. a. Fr. Aleksas Končius (+2004) and Fr. Viktor Voronovich. According to St. J. Bosko's charisma was especially developed by the director of the Salesian community, Fr. Alessandro Barelli, who has been working in the parish since 2001. On his initiative, the Christian Leisure Center (Salesian Oratory) operates on Sundays, summer day camps, and projects are being prepared. We are also grateful to this priest for the fact that a homestead in Tverečius (Ignalina district) was purchased for the summer recreation of the children and youth under the care of the Salesians of Vilnius and Kaunas. It is impossible to list everyone who contributed to the life of the community or to the construction of the church. Many people, many personal stories. Also - many miraculous signs of God's providence, confirming that God's will is there, and that it was precisely such that Fr. Spiritual sons of J. Bosco. We thank each of them from the bottom of our hearts. Fr. In the name of J. Bosco, using his words and assuring that we remember everyone in our prayers, we can say that Mary Help of Christians takes under its care everyone who comes to the Salesian house - especially a young person. May God generously bless everyone!

Vilnius St. More important dates in the history of John Bosco parish:

15.08.1924 The first Salesians to Vilnius. They were invited by Fr. Karolis Liubianecs. Archbishop With the permission of Jurgis Matulaičius, he gave them St. The Church of the Heart of Jesus and the Crafts School with a boarding school, located on Gerosios Vilties street

21.08.1928 Archbishop J. Matulaitis entrusted the monks with St. Stephen's Church.

01.01.1931 The chief rector of the Salesians, F. Rinaldi, gave his consent to establish St. The House of the Heart of Jesus on Gerosios Vilties street 22 and St. Stephen's Oratory of St. Stepona street 37, Vilnius.

in 1941 The Germans closed the Salesian institutions

in 1990 January 17 The Salesians return to Vilnius

1990.02.26 The Council of Religious Affairs under the Council of Ministers of the Lithuanian SSR registered the parish committee

On 12.03.1990, Bishop Julijonas Steponavičius established St. John Bosco parish

1993.04.01 permission for the construction of the chapel

1993.04.18 first mass in the meadow and consecration of the cross

On 25.04.1993, the beginning of the construction of the chapel

1994 first celebration of First Communion under the cross

1996.01.31 Archbishop Audrys Juozas Bačkis consecrates the chapel

On 07.02.1996, the construction of the chapel was officially completed

1996.05.17 the beginning of the construction of the church

1996.08.12 General Elder of the Salesians Fr. Juan Edmundo Vecchi SDB consecrates the cornerstone of the church

2000.12.24 first mass in the church (Shepherds' Mass)

28.01.2001 The church dedicated to Juozas Tunaitis

On 27.09.2004, the construction of the church was officially completed

2010.05.30 solemn consecration of the church